Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Awards 2007
The Juliet Cullinan Wine Festival has been running for 16 years and takes place in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban. It has been sponsored by Standard Bank for seven years, and showcases some of the Cape's finest terroir driven wineries to the consumer.
Introduced in 2000, The Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Awards, supervised by KPMG, highlights the best wines at the Festival. It is judged by the Cape Wine Masters who understand the nuances and the local consumers' preferences better than any panel in South Africa.
Only three wines in each category are singled out, awarded first, second and third, a certificate and bottle stickers. Winning wines focus public attention on premium wines, increasing the sales and highlighting the talents of the Cape Wine Masters.
Juliet Cullinan Wines sponsors a ticket overseas to the top-scoring winemaker, and introduces him to wine media, public relations companies, sommeliers, and leading wineries in France and the United Kingdom enhancing their contact with the international wine fraternity and influencing global trends. Juliet Cullinan Wines donates funds towards the Cape Wine Masters' Bursary Fund.
In addition to national media support, The Business Report promotes Juliet Cullinan Wine Events in The Star, The Mercury and The Cape Times.
Standard Bank sponsored the Merlot category won by Steenberg, and Mikasa the Chardonnay category won by KWV. The Mikasa Open Up glasses are designed to enhance and promote the flavours of young wines.
Juliet Cullinan Wines pledges its support for Kids with HIV by associating its Wine Activities closely with the organisation nationally.
The 2007 overall winner is Peter Finlayson from Bouchard Finlayson for the Galpin Peak Pinot Noir 2005. Finlayson's awards list reads like the who's who of wine competitions. His Pinot Noir has attracted the attention of the critics since he won the Diners Club Award in 1989. The 1996 was the first SA red wine to fly First Class on British Airways, he won the International Wine Challenge Trophy in 2000 and the 2001 won the first Classic Wine Trophy in 2002.
Finlayson describes the 2005 as having "a delicious harmony of sweet raspberry fruit and soft balanced, perfumed tannins, with a delightful lingering long finish". This winning wine won the Toronto Bloor Yorkville Santé Wine Festival Awards of Excellence, Decanter and the Old Mutual Award.
Previous winners of the Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Award have been:
- 2003 - Paul Cluver Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest 2000
- 2004 - Kaapzicht Steytler Vision 2001
- 2005 - Steenberg Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2003
- 2006 - Kaapzicht Steytler Pinotage 2003
The winners of the 2006 Wine Connoisseur's Awards were announced at a luncheon at Pomegranate Restaurant on Vergenoegd Estate in Stellenbosch on 7 June 2007.
- KWV Cathedral Cellar Chardonnay 2005 - First Gold
- Glen Carlou Chardonnay 2006 - Second
- Dieu Donné Vineyards Chardonnay 2005 - Third
- Kleine Zalze Wines Vineyard Selection Chenin Blanc 2005 - First
- Fort Simon Estate Chenin Blanc 2005 - Second
- Meerendal Chenin Blanc 2006 - Third
- Flagstone Winery Free Run Sauvignon Blanc 2006 - First
- Kleine Zalze Wines Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2006 - Second
- De Wetshof De Wetshof Estate 2006 - Third
- Hermanuspietersfontein Die Bartho 2006 - First
Methode Cap Classique
- Laborie Cap Classique 2003 - First
- Kaapzicht Estate Steytler Vision 2004 - First
- Raka Figurehead 2004 - Second
- Groenland Antoinette Marié (Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz/Merlot) - First
- Steenberg Vineyards Merlot 2005 - First Gold
- La Couronne Merlot 2005 - Second
- Withington Merlot 2003 - Third
- Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak Pinot Noir 2005 - First Gold
- Glen Carlou Pinot Noir 2006 - Second
- Schalk Burger & Sons Barrique Select Pinotage 2005 - First
- Mooiplaas Mooiplaas Pinotage 2003 - Second
- Groot Constantia Pinotage 2005 - Third
- La Couronne Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 - First
- Raka Biography 2004 - First Gold
- Meerendal Shiraz 2005 - Second
- Glen Carlou Syrah 2005 - Third
- Stellekaya Winery Shiraz 2005 - Third
- Bouchard Finlayson Hannibal 2004 - First
- Glen Carlou Tortoise Hill Red 2005 - Second
- De Krans Cape Tawny Port NV - First Gold
- De Krans Vintage Reserve Port 2005 - Second Gold
- Vergenoegd Old Cape Colony 2001 - Third
- KWV Vintage Port 2000 - Third