Facts About The Farm
Groot Constantia today
Groot Constantia stands as a pinion of excellence for the wine industry and is an ideal example of the preservation of South African culture and heritage.
- It is a fully operational farm, one of South Africa’s most visited tourist attractions, where a wide range of quality estate wines are created and sold (seven days a week).
- With a variety of other attractions, including restaurants & museums a visit to Groot Constantia becomes an unforgettable experience. The estate is today owned by the Groot Constantia Trust, a non profit company (NPC).
- The trust is committed to maintain and restore this national monument which is South Africa's oldest and best known wine estate.
Pressing capacity: 650 tons
- 2003: 498 tons
- 2004: 620 tons
- 2005: 525 tons
- 2006: 447 tons
- 2007: 458 tons
Wood maturation: 30 – 50 % New Wood
Situation, climate, soil types and major varietals
Highest average rainfall of all the South African regions in the form of winter rains– no problem with summer rain during the season. 1,100 mm rainfall per annum 78% rainfall from May to October. No irrigation required.
Nine different soil types exist on the farm and careful planning ensured the selection of the best possible clones of chosen varietals, in harmony with the specific slopes and soil types.
Mostly Table Mountain Granite soils including Glenrosa, Hutton, Avalon and Oakleaf soils are found on the Estate.
The alluvial soil types on the lower slopes of the farm provides interesting variation on varietal character, giving the winemaker the opportunity to create more complex wines through skillful blending.
Groot Constantia is situated on the Cape Peninsula overlooking False Bay. The vineyards are tucked in the steep valley on the eastern side of Table Mountain. The area is blessed with a maritime climate due to the oceans on both sides and an annual average rainfall of +/- 1,100 mm per annum combined with cool southern slopes and deep mountain soils provides the ideal setting for the making of top quality wines.
- Hectares: 165 hectares
- Hectares under vines: 90 hectares
- Metres above sea level: 60 - 280 metres
Red (70 %)
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cabernet Franc
- Touriga Nacional (Port variety)
- Muscat de Frontignan
White (30 %)
- Sauvignon Blanc
From our cellars Frederick the Great of Prussia, Louis Phillipe (King of the French) and Napoleon were supplied...
come and add yourself to the list!
Become part of a lineage of royalty and noble men who have savoured our wines for centuries.
By joining our exclusive Groot Constantia Wine Club you will enjoy the following exclusive benefits:
- No initial sign up cost
- Wine Club Members receive a standard 10% discount on Groot Constantia wines bought at the Groot Constantia Wine Estate and on our website www.grootconstantia.co.za
- Be among the first to be informed of specials and new releases
- Have the exclusive opportunity to pre-order new vintages