2006 Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Award winners
The Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Awards identify the highlights at the Juliet Cullinan Standard Bank Wine Festivals held in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
The judges who are Cape Wine Masters are recognised by the wine industry as possibly the most professional tasting panel in South Africa. Wines are marked, poured and scored under the watchfull eye of KPGM.
Three winners are awarded in each varietal category and the winemaker of the overall top-scoring wine is given an international airticket by Juliet Cullinan Wines. Juliet Cullinan also promises to introduce him/her to Champagne Houses, Bordeaux Chateaux and Burgundy Negociants as well as the French media. In this way they can interact with the international wine fraternity and learn global winemaking tips. Juliet Cullinan Wines donates R5000 to the Cape Wine Master's Bursary Fund.
The 2006 overall winner is Danie Steytler with his Kaapzicht Steytler Pinotage 2003. Steytler is not new to awards, constantly winning accolades internationally. He was the overall winner of the Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Awards in 2004 travelling to Bordeaux on his winning air ticket.
The Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Awards stimulates wine vision and styles by inspiring winemakers to alter their style or introduce a new wine to their repertoire. Steyter, who currently makes 16 different wines including white, red, natural sweet, Haneport and Brandy, is interested in researching how to make a Noble Late Harvest. Does this mean we will soon be seeing a 17th wine from this wine celebrity?
Previous winners have been:
- 2003 - Paul Cluver Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest 2000
- 2004 - Kaapzicht Steytler Vision 2001
- 2005 - Steenberg Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2003
The winners of the 2006 Wine Connoisseur's Awards were announced at a Gala Dinner at Pigalle Resturant in Seapoint on 29 May.
Winning wines can be tasted at the Juliet Cullinan Wine Festivals at the BMW Pavilion, Waterfront on 30 May, USaka Marine World on 30 June & Wanderer's Club Johannesburg 26 & 27 July.
Tickets for these festivals can be bought ahead from Juliet Cullinan Wines. A 10% discount will be offered on 10 or more tickets bought.
2006 Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Award Winners:
- Gold: 17 and over
- Silver: 16 - 17
- Bronze: 15 - 16 out of 20 points
The winners of the Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoisseur's Award have been:
- * 2003 Paul Cluver Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest 2000 made by Andries Burger
- * 2004 Kaapzicht Steytler Vision 2001 made by Danie Steytler
- * 2005 Steenberg Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2005 made by John Loubser
- * 2006 Kaapzicht Steytler Pinotage 2003 made by Danie Steytler
- First - Kaapzicht Steytler Vision 2003
- Second - Raka Figurehead 2004
- Third - Stellekaya Cape Cross 2003
- First - Stellekaya Merlot 2004
- Second - Kaapzicht Merlot 2002
- Third - Withington Merlot 2003
- First - Kaapzicht Steytler Pinotage 2003
- Second - Major's Hill Pinotage 2004
- Third - Deetlefs Pinotage 2005
- First - Laborie Jean Taillefert Shiraz 2002
- Second - Raka Biography Shiraz 2004
- Third - Kaapzicht Shiraz 2003
- First - Backsberg Klein Babylons Toren 2003
- Second - Avontuur Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2001
- Third - Tokara Red 2003
- First - De Wetshof Danie de Wet Nature in Concert Pinot Noir 2004
- Second - Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak Pinot Noir 2003
- First - Delaire Botmaskop 2002
- Second - Stellekaya Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
- Third - Dieu Donne Cabernet Sauvignon 2003
- First - Bouchard Finlayson Hannibal 2003
- First - De Krans Cape Tawny Port
- Second - Landskroon Port 2001
- Third - De Krans Vintage Reserve Port 2003
Noble Late Harvest
- First - Dieu Donne Noble Late Harvest 2005
- Second - Jordan Mellifera Noble Late Harvest 2005
- First - Kaapzicht HanepootJerepigo 2005
- First - Groot Constantia Gouverneurs Chardonnay 2004
- Second - Dieu Donne Chardonnay 2005
- Third - De Wetshof Bon Vallon Chardonnay Sur Lie 2005
- First - Fort Simon Chenin Blanc 2005
- Second - Hildenbrand Chenin Blanc 2005
- Third - Morgenhof Chenin Blanc 2005
- First - Ernst & Co Sauvignon Blanc 2005
- Second - Jordan Blanc Fumé 2005
- Third - Hoopenburg Sauvignon Blanc 2005
The Juliet Cullinan Wine Connoissoisseur's Awards are audited by KPMG.
Tel: (011) 447-1885
Fax: (011) 219-7064
Cell: 083 255 9430